The University Credo
- We believe:
- that education is a lifelong process, and its focal point is and should always be the
- that the primary purpose of education is the integral formation of the human
person, the fullest development of everything that is human in the individual;
- that it is an essential part of the mission of a school to help and complement the
family in the exercise of its educational rights and duties;
- that a university must be ever attentive and responsive to the real needs of the
community that sustains it to significantly contribute to human progress, and do
everything it can to uplift the moral, cultural and material level of the country and
the region in which it operates; and
- that a university fulfills its role best when it forms individuals who are professionally
competent, creative and enterprising, zealous for the common good, and capable
of making free and morally upright choices, and who can thus act as positive agents
of change in service to society.
- We, who form part of the University of Asia and the Pacific,
therefore, dedicate and commit ourselves to:
- the highest standards of professional excellence in our academic, scientific and
- the inculcation of sound and time-tested human and social values and attitudes in
people, beginning with those we work and live with and reaching out especially to
those in most need of help in society;
- the creation within the University of an atmosphere of academic serenity conducive
not only to disciplined and diligent study, high-level research, and the responsible
use of scientific inquiry, but also to mutual respect, openness, understanding, and
friendship, without discrimination of any kind; and
- above all, the arduous but most spiritually rewarding pursuit of wisdom, the
synthesis of love of God and knowledge, faith and reason, culture and life.
University of Asia and the Pacific is an academic community
where the pursuit and spread of truth are undertaken according
to the highest intellectual and professional standards. It shall
remain faithful to these foundational aims:
- To pursue and promote world-class research, an interdisciplinary synthesis
of humanistic, professional, scientific, and technical knowledge, inspired by a
Christian view of man and sense of life.
- To promote, in an atmosphere of freedom, the integral development of all members
of the university community so that they may work with good will, competence,
and team spirit.
- To form committed professionals and encourage them to serve with personal
initiative and civic responsibility the community in which they work, thereby
helping build just and harmonious social structures.
- To create and spread a culture that strengthens the dignity of the human person
and the unity of the family, and that promotes understanding and cooperation
among persons of all races, beliefs, and social conditions.
To achieve these aims, the University of Asia and the Pacific shall:
- Seek to reach a level of excellence in its research and teaching programs that will
earn for the university a place among the most prestigious academic institutions in
the Asia-Pacific region.
- Adopt advanced research and teaching techniques so as to become a source of
innovative forms of learning, as well as contribute to a better balance between the
cost and quality of research, communication, and education.
- Adapt its teaching programs, founded upon basic research and the study of the
humanities, to the actual needs of a society undergoing progressive change and of
a wide region promoting international cooperation.
- Seek, while working closely with other Philippine institutions, wider regional and
international recognition so that it can be present in intellectual fora and policy
- Strengthen and broaden the avenues for cooperation so that it can effectively
contribute to social development and obtain from various sectors of society the
necessary support to carry out its extension work.
- Organize itself in a manner conducive to internal efficiency and effective
coordination, while keeping enough flexibility, so as to enable all members of the
university community to contribute freely and responsibly to the fulfillment of
their common tasks.
- Strive to attain, as a necessary condition for its autonomous development, a level
of economic self-sufficiency that will allow the university to firmly establish itself
as a center of academic excellence, to initiate projects, and to admit well-qualified
students from underprivileged sectors of society.
The University Hymn
Star of the Orient
We stand together,
Joyful we gather,
As we remember
Our alma mater.
Herald of the east light,
Beacon of the true life,
Star of the Orient,
Lead us to the light.
With your radiance in the sky,
Guide us through the night.
Kindled by your bright flame,
We will strive in your name.
Star of the Orient,
Shine forth your light!
Let our alma mater
Let our alma mater